History of Schuyler
Schuyler is the county seat for Colfax County . It was orginally known as Shell Creek Station. 1866 the Union Pacific Railroad reached Schuyler. The Nebraska legislature in 1869 divided the huge county of Platte into three separate counties. The newly created eastern county was named Colfax. Shell Creek Station was renamed Schuyler in June 1870. In 1891 – 1892 the first municipal light and water plant in Nebraska was constructed. Schuyler is one mile north of the Platte River.
Because of its central location, Schuyler has participated in four significant historical events: 1836 – 1869 Oregon Trail,
Schuyler’s population is a mixture of many nationalities. The three largest ethnic groups arriving early were Czech, Irish, and German. Since the early 90's Hispanic immigrants have been integrating the population.
In 1969 the Spencer Foods Company built a beef packing plant west of Schuyler. Today, this modern plant operates as Cargill Meat Solutions.
Schuyler became the midwestern home of the Benedictine Missions in 1935. In 1997 the St. Benedict Center was constructed near the Benediictine Mission House four miles north of Schuyler.
One of Nebraska’s most beautiful recreational centers is Schuyler’s
Oak Ballroom, built in 1937. The Oak Ballroom, listed on the
Today, Schuyler is a progressive, First Class City with a growing multi-cultural population ( 6,211 ).